Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Make a Good Impression

This past week I was in New York City assisting the New York Road Runners with the 2008 ING New York City Marathon. I have been lucky to have built a strong rapport with the Road Runners since working full time there and coming back to graduate school. I have been asked back the past 2 years and hope to continue this relationship. This year an undergraduate student from OU was invited to come along as well. As I mentioned in my previous posting, when I was a senior in undergrad I was invited to assist the Road Runners at the marathon - an opportunity that I am so glad I did not pass up!

I think this OU student had quite a similar experience as I had had a few years ago. Not only was he exposed to The World's Largest Marathon, but he was also exposed to some of the top running professionals in the industry and some of the most elite runners from around the world. He was quite brave to take on the opportunity - meeting new people, working in a city he had only been to once before, and doing it basically all on his own. The best part - everyone was so impressed by him! He did not complain once, did what was asked (and more), and took it all in as an invaluable learning experience.

The New York Road Runners will not forget him and will more than likely be asking for him back year after year (if of course they do not offer him a full time position before then - which would not surprise me!). I am proud of him and know that he learned the importance of making a good first impression.

No comments: