Monday, October 27, 2008

Remember to...

When I was a senior in college, I was asked by a good friend of mine to assist him and the New York Road Runners during the week leading up to the ING New York City Marathon. He had made some great connections with individuals who were working full time for the New York Road Runners and had been asked several years in a row to come back to the city and help them out. There is so much that needs to be done during that week; the more hands they have to help, the easier it makes their lives and the event as a whole. However, as a senior in college and not having had much real experience with large-scale events like this one..I was nervous. I wanted to do a great job, not only for myself but for my friend, as I would be representing him - everyone would associate me with him and I had to prove that I was worthy of being there.

Before we left, my friend (who had been in the work force for several years and has had a lot of experience in the sport industry) had a talk with me. This talk was not because he did not think I would do a good job or embarrass him (after all he did choose me of all people to come with him to the race), but just as a reminder of what his expectations were for me and what I needed to remember while working for the New York Road Runners. I will never forget those things he told me. A lot of these things may seem like common sense, but for most, they are things that are easy to forget. Whenever working or volunteering at an event or for an organization, remember these things:
  • Never ask for SWAG (Stuff We Always Get): This is the free stuff that is given out at events that everyone always seems to want (i.e. t-shirts, hats, posters, etc). If you are working an event, don't ask to have those things. You never want to be known as the kid who constantly asked for the free stuff. If they offer it to you, by all means, take it and be thankful...but if they don't offer, don't assume you can take it and do not ask for it!
  • Be on time: On time means 15 minutes early. If you are told to be somewhere at 9:30, get there no later than 9:15. This will definitely impress those you are working for.
  • If there's nothing for you to do, ask: Often times when you are working/volunteering, there may not always be something for you to do or there may not be direction for you at all times. This is when you ask, "Is there something I can help with?" If they so no, that's ok, just wait. Don't look or act bored..just be available to help when help is needed.
  • Never complain: Even when there is nothing to do, don't complain. Don't complain that you're tired or hungry. People will get annoyed VERY quickly and will not want to have you back. Be respectful and don't complain.
  • Dress the part: Make sure you are aware of the attire expectations before getting to the event. You don't want to show up in jeans and a t-shirt when the organizers expect you to be in khaki slacks and a polo. Even if people around you are dressed down, that does not mean that you can "get away with it" too. Dress in a way that fits the part and keeps you looking professional and conscientious.
  • Have fun: You don't have to take everything completely serious; make sure to have fun and make those around you know that you are enjoying what you are doing.
These are just a few tips on how to be your best, make the most positive impact, and produce good work when at any event no matter the size or scale. You are not only representing yourself and selling your own personal brand, but more often than not, you are representing someone or something else.

I will be heading to the 2008 ING New York City Marathon this week...representing myself, my former boss, and Ohio University. I will be sure to make a positive impact.

No comments: